SOME PRACTICAL HINTS
- Know the school Homework Policy and the reasons behind it.
- Make Homework as pleasant as you can. Provide an attractive work area where there is a desk or table and adequate lighting. Ensure that it is quiet.
- Turn the television off.
- Try to establish a predictable routine. If homework is done at the same time each evening, no great decisions about starting have to be made.
- Encourage the students to work reasonably quickly and efficiently. Have set time and don’t let them work beyond that. Certainly there is little point in them slogging on once they are frustrated and bored.
- If you are actively helping with a particular task, keep your explanation as simple and as practical as you can. Demonstrate, encourage and, where possible, express approval and satisfaction. If you find yourself becoming upset and the atmosphere getting tense, stop helping.